September 1st | Webinar: The 2021 APEC Clean Energy Purchasing and Decarbonization Workshop 2 – The Role of Corporations in Accelerating Decarbonization
On September 1st, 2021, the I-REC Standard Foundation, represented by Roble Poe Velasco-Rosenheim, spoke at the fully online 2021 APEC Clean Energy Purchasing and Decarbonization Workshop 2: The Role of Corporations in Accelerating Decarbonization webinar that focused on the decarbonization policies in the Asia-Pacific.
According to the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC), “APEC economies account for 60% of the world’s energy usage. These economies are diverse; both developing and developed nations are represented. As carbon-free energy technologies become more affordable and available, new possibilities are opening for energy infrastructure to be transitioned to more sustainable energy sources that are consistent with the dual priorities of economic growth and carbon reduction. [And] [t]here is an urgent need in the APEC region to drive decarbonization of electricity systems while simultaneously expanding electricity infrastructure to meet the growing energy needs of consumers in the region affordably and sustainably.”
Alongside other expert participants such as Google, Apple, ABD, as well as many other key players in the region, the I-REC Standard focused their discussion on how their pilots with hourly tracking are supporting corporate buyers in the tech sector to make more informed energy procurement choices to fully support decarbonization (referred to as 24/7 decarbonization by Google).
Time and Date: 9:00 am – 11:30 am, 1 September (Singapore), 2021
Agenda (All times in Singapore (GMT +8) 9:00 – 9:08 AM)
- Welcome and Opening Remarks: Google 9:08 – 9:15 AM
- Special Remarks – Scaling Up Clean Energy Across the Pacific | Priyantha Wijayatunga, the Asian Development Bank’s Chief of Energy Sector Group at the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department, will give the Bank’s view on how private investment and action is a required pillar in the bold agenda needed to ensure universal energy access and meet emissions-reduction goals in the APEC region.
- 9:15 – 10:15 AM: Panel 1: Driving Clean Energy Through Corporate Actions | This panel will provide a broad overview of corporate involvement in clean energy in the Asia-Pacific as a significant driver of growth and innovation. The discussion will then turn to the perspectives of multinational corporations with major presence in the region to discuss appropriate pathways for corporations to integrate themselves and others into clean energy adoption. Private sector economic, legal, and social considerations with respect to decarbonization will be discussed.
- Presentation: Current state & outlook of corporate clean energy activity across APEC Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) Jonathan Luan, Analyst (Beijing)
- Presentation: Empowering Energy Customers — Google’s View on Priorities for Government Action Google Amanda Peterson Corio, Head of EMEA and APAC Energy, Google Data Centers
- Presentation: The View from Industry — Partnering to Decarbonize Asia-Pacific Supply Chains Apple Bessma Aljarbou, Program Lead, Supplier Clean Energy Program
- Moderated Discussion and Q&A
- 10:15 – 11:15 AM: Panel 2: Public Non-Profit Sector Collaborations to Accelerate Clean Energy Investment | This panel will raise awareness of the enormous role non-profit organizations play in promoting clean energy transparency and investment in the Asia-Pacific. These organizations are valued for their neutrality and expertise and provide the much-needed standardization for multilateral collaboration. The discussion will also discuss future approaches to clean energy tracking and trading to alleviate current inefficiencies.
- Presentation: Thailand’s Road to Green Energy for RE100 Electricity Authority of Thailand (EGAT) Dr. Nitus Voraphonpiput, Director of the Generation and Transmission System Planning Division
- Case Study: Public-Private Sector Collaboration in Vietnam to Accelerate Clean Energy Investment Through the Creation of a DPPA Mechanism United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Scott Bartos, Senior Energy Advisor, USAID Regional Development Mission for Asia
- Presentation: The Importance and Rise of Granular Energy Certificates International Renewable Energy Certificate Standard Foundation (I-REC) Roble Velasco-Rosenheim, Asia Regional Director
- Moderated Discussion and Q&A
- 11:15 – 11:30 AM: Closing and Discussion of Key Takeaways